Thursday, April 30, 2009

Slime Wars

The recession appears to have led to overcrowding. In my garden. With the ground constantly damp from the tears of the many unemployed and overlevied, slugs can now freely roam the globe.

And they are freely roaming my garden and eating about a €1 of plantage a night. I come out every morning to see another sweet little lobelia stripped of its foliage and reduced to a sad little mohican of skinny stalks pointing hopelessly to heaven. Marigolds denuded to an inappropriate state, left only with a perverted veil of slime as a calling card.

Oh sure, there's always been slugs in my garden. There were root consuming moth larvae too before that that stealthily killed my new plants from the ground up 2 years ago. And an annual invasion of aphids on my rosebush that make me wish I could sell honeydew to the masses and become a millionaire.

But this year, the not so adorable, shell-less, be-antlered, slime-slitherers can fly. Or possibly they rent small private jets. Because they are getting past the inch high mound of slug pellets all around the base of the precious posies. Which they are not supposed to do.

Not only that, they are completely nocturnal. Trust me, if ever I laid eyes on one of the voracious gastropods in the light of day, they will experience the full spa treatment of an all over salt scrub that will result in Wicked Witch of the West style melting.

Any suggestions before I resort to a plastic garden?

No comments:

Post a Comment