Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shut Up and Drive

Well I've just completed another conversation that included the line - "I'm afraid I can't drive".

It's a bigger conversation killer than "I have a contagious flesh eating bacterial infection".

I've had three phone calls all from my b-e-a-utiful CV posting on Monster.ie. All for jobs in the not terribly far-flung corners of Ireland. Places I cannot get to by public transport. Which if you live where I do, is most places except Dublin city centre or some station-centric areas in Kildare if you need adequate services for a 9-5 position.

And what's my excuse for not getting behind the wheel of the beast? I really do not know. A bit of cowardice. I do hate doing anything new for the first time in case I look a fool. And to be honest, if I do start, the thought of spending a few hours thrashing the poor car to get me in and out to work doesn't appeal. Nor do the costs. I support public transport, I'd rather see it than traffic jams but there really is no incentive. At worst, it's prohibitive to my search. And if I do get something, I'll well over €2k a year for the priviledge of buying a better value house. Between myself and my husband, all the train charges will build up into the price of the city centre dwelling such are the extortionate charges.

Forced to live in the outer ring of commuterville by disgraceful over-inflated house prices, I now cannot find work. Sure, it's not the only reason, but it's a contributing factor.

Where's that Theory Test CD-ROM?

Yours,
RF

No comments:

Post a Comment